Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Saturday Evening Out With Friends

Last Saturday evening, a group of friends were supposed to get together for dinner. We had decided to go to Uncle Charlie's Pizza in Edinboro, PA. Well, rather than travel all the way to Edinboro, we decided to meet for dinner in Lake City. A pizza place there called Jim and Sues.  Is a small family place.  It came down from over 8 people, to just 4 of us. Margie, and myself, her son Cory and his girlfriend Ashley.

 After dinner, we decided to go bowling.  That is a sport I have not partaken in over 20 years.  With such little notice, I did not have any of my arthritis meds with me.  I did have Aleve.  I popped two of them, and off we went.  Very 1st frame, I bowled a double gutter ball.  One on each side. LOL  Strange thing about the alleys in Lake City, they show you how fast you roll the ball.  Like a lot of sports, it is a useless statistic.  First game, even with the bad start, I ended up bowling a whopping 86.  That was good enough for second place.

 Now, At the very beginning, I had started my set up at rear most lines.  I could not get my steps right at all.  I moved up to next set of lines, and there were still too many steps for me.  With my bad knees, it ended up I faced off less that 5 feet from foul line, and just shuffled a few paces and released.

  I felt the burn in my knees before first game was even over.  By second game, my knees were popping with every step I took.  I admit, with the aleve, I was not in great pain, but I could feel the pops with every step. Second game, i improved on my score. I ended the evening with a 97.  Woo Hoo!  does a happy shuffle.

  Well, got home, and the knees were doing a burn.  I felt the heat radiating from them. I  could not get comfortable at all sitting.  I remembered from my other client, when ever you are feeling down, and sad, and hurting, to give her two friends a call.  I was hesitant, but she had made the introductions, so I guess I felt the obligation to give them a try. She gave me their names and a sample at one time that I had taken her shopping.

  I was hesitant to ask these two guys into my home, but I was hurting, and my friend had recommended them, so I gave my call out to her friends Ben and Jerry.  I tried Cherry Garcia.  Was supposed to be cherry ice cream, with chocolate chunks, as well as pieces of Cherries.  Cherry chunks were quite large when found, and yes, chocolate strips were in there as promised, but, over all especially for the price, i was not overly impressed. But, they did help get my mind off of the hurt a bit.  Who can stay feeling hurt when you have some ice cream.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jim, be very careful with your knee, will you? Bowling is fun but the weight of your body is not prepared to throw the first pinball. Take care of yourself.

Unknown said...

Two good friends of mine, that Ben and Jerry!

And before you get more advice from people, neither Jose, Jack nor Jim will help that for long either.

Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

at least you didn't have to cut the tape off of your busted thumb!