Friday, March 11, 2011

PhotoPhun Challenge "Just Desserts"

  When this subject came up, I had in my mind to do something a bit off the track, and not expected from the subject.  In my mind, I had the dream photo all composed as to what I was looking for.  Where is a cop when you need one?  I had wanted to drive by a highway stop of a speeder.  We all know those who have no regard for posted speed limits.  they fly by us at near light speed, and then swerve lanes with no signals, rhyme, or reason.  Just to keep that frantic pace going.  Twice last week on my trip to Lorain, I was passed on my left side by these speed demons, only to have them swerve in front of me at last moment to exit to the right off the highway. Sheesh, do they not have any idea where there exit is, or is it that they cannot slow down prior to said exit and stay in right lanes to exit where they should.  Anyway, I digress.

  Getting to the theme. How timely this one was.  Here is it, the start of Lent for us Catholics.  Tuesday is also referred to as Fat Tuesday. It is last day for debauchery with food, and drink before Lenten Sacrifice time comes about.  We are supposed to give up things for lent. Some countries celebrate Carnival, and people here in the US for example do something akin to that down in the south and that is called Mardi Gras.  Last big blow out celebration before Lent.

  I had to work on Fat Tuesday until 6 PM.  While at work, I was giving consideration to what I was going to do for this challenge.  Everywhere I was driving this week, I had been carrying a camera hoping for the speeder getting a ticket. Alas, no such luck.  Then, a revelation occurred, Even though where I worked that day was very near to the Ohio border, I was less than 3 miles from it, I got the inspiration to go to Aunt Millies!  For those of you unfamiliar with this mom and pop place, it is just beyond Silvercreek NY.  This is approx 30 miles short of Buffalo on Rte 5/20  I put the slash in there because for a small stretch of this road, both routes 20 and 5 are the same road.  This is just short of the Indian Reservation, Like about 2 miles West of the Reservation.

  By 6:15, I was in my car, and headed East.  I was on a mission.  Not much could deter me then.  I had a goal, a dream, and an empty stomach.  Hmm, am unsure of which one had driven me the most, but that can be left for a discussion for another time. The meals there are always filling.  Unlike other places, that when you order a bowl of soup for an example, you would get like an over sized coffee mug, and that is their bowl.  here, soup is served in the same sized bowls that you would have as part of your fine china dinner set. The rest of the meals are never skimped on.

  The meals are always so good, and filling, by the time I get finished with dinner, I never have room for dessert.  When I really find one that I want, I always have to ask for it to go, and given the hour drive back home, it gives me time to make room for dessert. So, now that you have been teased enough by all my writing, I am going to post some of the photos of their desserts.  Even now, days later, my mouth waters just thinking of what they offer.  Hmm, things like 7 layer cakes, fruit pies, Cream pies as tall as maybe 6-7 inches tall, cream puffs, chocolate covered strawberries, Bear claws (full sized), Danishes and so on.  I have made you wade through this much so now, rest of this blog will be left for your visual enjoyment.

I also invite you to view the other PhotoPhun participants, Mark (http://www.locophotogblog.com/), Lisa ( http://bustershouse.wordpress.com/), and Ree ( http://margareetaville.blogspot.com/ ), and see what their take on the challenge was for this week.


  For next weeks challenge, as we still are experiencing snowy, or maybe just wet weather, this challenge will be an indoor adventure.  In a food store, find something of which you find odd to be there. ODD FOODS












6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy, those wonderful desserts just made my mouth water. I took me a moment to remember just where Aunt Millie's was, but now i got it.
Maybe on my next visit to Erie, we can try to schedule a trip there to see more of their great desserts!

Big Bro Phil

Ruth and Jeff said...

Loved your blog on Aunt Millies, Jimmy! There Chocolate Eclairs are to DIE for!! I vote to go to Aunt Millies every chance I get when we are in the area....Even Jeff couldn't finish the piece of Lasagna they served him one time!!!
My youngest son, Clayton and his wife Abbey, live only 15 minutes from there....I would move closer too if I could eat there all the time!

Unknown said...

Good job!! And, welcome to PhotoPhun!!!

Lisa said...

mmm...mmm...mmm...everything looks so scrumptious! Good choice of restaurants!

Before you posted, someone had called "birds" for next week over at my place, so we will do "odd foods" the following week, 3/27.

Kitty said...

Ahhhhh. I remember how wonderful Aunt Millies food was! Thanks for introducing me to the experience!!! But this was such a teaser, Jim!!! Your pictures make my mouth water!!!

Mark said...

Those are some tasty-looking desserts. I think I put on weight just lookin' at 'em!

Welcome to the Phun club, Jim! Sorry it took me so long to come by!