Friday, October 3, 2008

End Of An Era

As of Sept 30, 2008. a local landmark has disappeared. Forever it seems when I was growing up, we could always call a phone number 24 hours a day and 7 days a week Holidays included and get this friendly voice giving us our local time and temperature. It was 452-6311. You always could rely on that voice to give you a sense of security. Even when away, if you got a little homesick, you could call it long distance at the area code 814 and get a taste of home. Now, there is a new automated voice saying that Verizon has canceled this service, but they do give the time and current temp.

It is just not the same, and there is no telling how long even this one will stay. It is no where as friendly. I have to admit, anytime I get a phone call at home, and on the other side of the line I hear a computer generated voice, I do not listen any further than that. I hang up. I do not know how many millions of dollars I may have due me, or what a great deal someone will have for me, I will not listen any further. I just hang up. If you cannot make the time to dial me direct, then you must not really want to talk with me.

Maybe this is just MY HANG UP?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh no! Alas, I am with you in your sadness. This is one of my happy memories of growing up too. That voice. She was always there, calmly in her own way, letting you know all is right with the world. Current time is 10:22 p.m. - temperature 46.

I will follow an appropriate period of mourning.