Wednesday, September 3, 2008

I think I can, I think I can

Today is the second day of our driving journey heading Eastwards. on our first day, we went approx 550 miles total, with a short stop in Las Vegas. I have to admit, while driving a full sized van, pulling a 12' U-Haul trailer, driving the "strip" wasn't on the books. Besides all the traffic, there was a lot of ongoing construction. we did stop and travel inside North Las Vegas to get some gas, and play some slots. After this, we progressed to Cedar City Utah. There was some mountain climbing involved this day!

On Wednesday, we got a very early breakfast, and were on the road before 7:30 AM. We were on our way thru Utah with a goal of reaching Denver Colorado before nightfall. Well, let me tell you, we did some serious mountain climbing today. There were plenty of times, with the load we had behind us, the van was a little huffing, and puffing. As we slowed down as slow as 30 MPH, I started saying my Mantra, "I think we can, I think we can, I pray we can!" Starting out in the morning, using Phil's Garmin, it showed an approximate arrival time. From the beginning one, we only arrived about an hour later than we had thought. We had stopped for gas, twice, and had climbed to about 11,ooo ft above sea level. So, with a lot of sweat, we did arrive! The worst of the driving should now be over. The monotonous part still faces us. We are two and a half days away from Lorain Ohio! I still say my mantra, " I think we can, I think we can, and am starting on the new verse, I know we can!"

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Man, I remember those days of trying to cross the mountains pulling a trailer! You want to put your foot out of the door to help you climb!

Way to go, guys! Keep chugging. Lorain Ohio awaits you!!

Kitty said...

Congratulations on making it to Denver safely! Hey Phil ... aren't you glad we re-shuffled the trailer load?????????