Saturday, September 13, 2008

911 Police....What Is Your Emergency?

Tonight, Friday had a strange ending. As I was exiting work late, it was just shy of 1 AM, I locked up the building and with alarms set, I departed the building. Mind you, the building is now locked, and alarms are set. I exit the front doors, and the key I was issued unlocks a side door. Anyway, as I was walking to my car, I always do a look around of the lot. Recently, all out door lights have been brought up to working order. Well, I espied a jeep in the lot that should not be there. There is a policy stating that if you are going to leave a vehicle in the lot over night, or for the week, you are supposed to notify the Master Control Operators so they know when they depart the building.

After I climb into my car and start it up, I pull over to this jeep. It is one of those small ones like maybe a CJ-5. As I near, i turn on high beams to be able to look into the vehicle. if it is only teenagers parking, you see the heads pop up, and almost instantly, the car starts up as they fumble around in their seats. This time that is not what had happened. I saw a head pop up facing away from me, and immediately it went down, and would not move even though I was less than 10 feet away from it. I did not feel comfortable about approaching this one. So, I just backed away and started out of the lot.

As many of you know where I work, our driveway is not the easiest to find. Our driveway is 2/10ths of a mile back into the woods. I did not like the idea of a possible confrontation back there where no one would either hear or see any thing. Cowardice is the better part of valor. As I got out to Channel 24's lot, I backed into thier drive and called 911. I said it is not an immediate life or death emergency, but I was not comfortable about rousting this individual. After determining that I was in the jurisdiction of the State Police, I was transferred over to them, and gave my report again. They asked what I was driving, and what the other car was. they asked me for the plate number of the other car, and low and behold, I never checked! What an observant person I am. I saw the jeep, and could describe it, but i never looked at the plate.

Anyway, after about 14 minutes, a State Police cruiser with two troupers in it comes in. They ask me if I want to wait to see what they find out, and i did not want the culprit to see my car again, soI said no. They asked about alternate ways out, and I said there were none, and I gave a diagram of the lots, as well as where they could find them. After that, I was on my way. Hopefully, it was just some homeless person looking for a quiet night, but I must admit, it is hard to find our driveway especially after dark. I have had to visit like Wall Mart and I see cars parked over night there all the time. I just wish they would go there instead of our lot. If there is an update, I will post a follow up.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow! Police activity in the middle of nowhere!

That could not have been a fun experience. That driveway really is the middle of nowhere. I'm glad you have the weekend off!