Saturday, July 16, 2011

Shrek Jumped My Car



  This just has not been my day.  I was going to take a friend for a ride early Sat afternoon.  No sooner had I picked her up, and we turned the corner when all of a sudden, it sounds like I have been hit by a boulder. Car came to a screeching halt.  The car feels a little funny.  It has a peculiar lean to it.  I set emergency brake, turn off vehicle, and goes out to try and figure out what had happened.  Hmm, as I climbed out, this is what I found.


  Not a good sign!  The wheel was supposed to be straight.  Not a good Sign.  I Think maybe Shrek threw a boulder at me and caught me this time.  As you will note in the next photo, I was not traveling fast. I was only at about 5 MPH.  You can see the whole length of the drag mark on the concrete pavement.



  I know, sucks to be me.  Hey, on the good side, I was not on the highway doing 60 when it happened.  Thank God for small favors. Pulls out wallet and cell and calls AAA.  Gave info where I was, and how to get there, and after answering all the questions, I was informed it will take an hour if not longer because they will need a flatbed.  Good thing it happened about 30 yards away from friends house.  Oh, had I mentioned was a hot bright day out?  Was about 85 and no shadows.  Must be why I did not espy Shrek. 

 Looking at my phone, I see that I had called AAA at 1:01 PM.  At 1:59 PM, I checked the call log on my phone, LOL, I rec'd a call saying the flatbed will be there within 20 minutes.  True to their word, they did arrive within the 20 minutes.  The view below is of a longer view seeing the front.



  Next photo will show front end being jacked up with a neighbors floor jack, and then with the front of the car up in the air, it was winched up onto the flatbed using a floor jack as my front wheel.





  Lastly, Is a close up view of the damages.  The straight bar in lower right corner is my drive shaft, and you can see where ball joint is busted, and the taunt line is an overstretched brake line.  I have not had an estimate as yet.  That, may be another Blog.






   In closing, I have to THANK GOD, I was doing less than 10 MPH and not at highway speeds when this let loose.  A 5 MPG crash is easier to survive than a 60 MPH one.  And remember, no use getting very upset over it, I walked away to drive another day.  Sure, it dents the wallet and savings as well, but that is an easier obstacle to overcome than physical injury.  So, Hope you find some humor is the SHREK reference to my last Blog in this.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

From "the glass is half full" point of view, you are correct - this COULD have happened on the highway. It broke, you're ok, and you will live to drive another day.

The ball joint thingie or whatever is replaceable, but YOU are ok. YOU are NOT replaceable!! :)

Anonymous said...

i am glad to hear that you are OK
Just as long as that is all the damage done. Will be waiting to hear the estimate. Let me know if you would like me to come to erie to assist you sooner than planned

Big Bro Phil

Anonymous said...

HI Jim,
I feel soooooo bad that it happened after you picked me up. I really blame the roads near my home and all the bumps, I have gone thru a bunch of suspension parts the 5 yrs i have lived here.

I thank god also that we were so close to my house and that we were going soooooooo slow. I have been in a 60mph crash and it wasnt fun. At this point after leaving bone out of my scull after the brain surgery... i dont think that I would make it out of a accident so easly this time... I may have been my brain flying out of the hole that left a skid mark on the ground next time.

Pleae let me know if you need anything, or help with the repair.

Hugs,
Trisha

Oh and P.s. I have everyone on the look out for Schrek... he has to pay for this one lol.

John R. said...

Wow! Glad to hear you are OK! That would have been terrible at 60 MPH... You have to watch out for that Shrek character! Let me know if you need anything.

Cousin John